Terms & Conditions
Please read these terms and conditions carefully. If you have any questions about the Terms and Conditions, please contact us prior to booking.
Transportation Terms & Conditions:
All horses and ponies must always have their passport with them when being transported. This is a legal requirement under the Horse Passports (England) Regulation 2004. Should Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd arrive to commence a trip, and no passport is available, the pre-paid cost for transport will be non refundable and no transport will be carried out.
Care, Custody and Control insurance is provided by Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd. Entering into a booking deems acceptance of this level of cover. We also advise that you insure your animal for transportation.
Should Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd’s box be damaged by your horse, you (the customer) will be liable to cover the full cost of repairs incurred (by a repairer of our choice in order to maintain the specifications and safety of the box). You are entitled to view the box prior to loading of the horse to ensure you are happy with its condition.
Whilst the driver will take all reasonable precautions, you the client remain fully liable for your horse in the event of injury or damage sustained to or by your horse during the care of Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd.
It is your responsibility to be honest about your horse, in regard to its temperament and how it loads and travels i.e. good/bad. If the representative of Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd believes that the behaviour of the horse, prior to departure, is likely to endanger the horse, the representative, or property of Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd; the company is entitled to abort the journey with the pre-agreed cost for transport will be paid in full by the customer.
30 minutes will be given in order for the horse to be loaded, after this time has elapsed £25 will be charged, per half an hour, will be added. Where a horse cannot be loaded, the full quoted amount provided for transport, in addition to waiting time; will be non-refundable.
We (Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd) agree that loading will be performed in a calm and respectful manner. We will NOT use forceful techniques, or any techniques liable to cause distress to the animal. Should the owner feel that this is the only course of action available to them, in order to load the horse, then Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd reserve the right to cancel the trip, with full quote amount non-refundable.
If your horse becomes unsettled/aggressive during the journey, where we deem there to be an increased risk to your horse, ourselves or our property, we reserve the right to sedate your horse and/or call out an emergency vet to sedate your horse if we deem this course of action necessary. You will be liable for any veterinary expenses. You will be informed prior to any action being taken.
We (Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd) permit the use of haynets during Transport although are not responsible for providing the hay or haylage itself. Due to safety and bio security reasons this must be discussed and provided by the owner of the horse to suit the dietary requirements and travel distance.
FULL payment of the quoted amount must be paid for any transport booked at a minimum of 3 days prior to the booking date. Bookings are only 100% confirmed and booked in place with payment in full completed and confirmed. Failure to do so Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd hold the right not to carry out the transport.
A £50 deposit is required per booking per stall, and will need to be paid in advance to secure your booking. This deposit will be non-refundable (unless in the event of Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd being unable to honour the booking); and this deposit will be deducted from the overall cost for transport on the day.
Cancellation of transport, made within 48 hours of the agreed departure date, will result in the FULL cost being non-refundable.
Booking transport with Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd, will, by default, mean that the customer is in agreement with the Terms and conditions listed above.
Self-Drive Horsebox Hire Terms & Conditions
We are Hodgson Equine Transport (HET) registered at Meribel, Green Lane, Crosby-On-Eden, Carlisle Cumbrua, CA6 4QN. These terms shall apply to you the “hirer” of the horsebox.
By signing the hire agreement on collection you accept these terms and conditions. Please read this agreement carefully. If there is anything you do not understand, please ask any member of staff. No contract shall exist between owner and hirer of the vehicle.
Hodgson Equine Transport will provide the hirer with the following:
- A rental agreement for the period of hire, signed by both parties to confirm agreement to all terms and conditions held within this contract.
- Comprehensive vehicle insurance for period of hire.
- Full tank of fuel upon hire of horsebox which is to be returned full.
- Full instruction on how to operate the horsebox.
- A detailed inspection report detailing the condition of the horsebox prior to hire.
- A detailed inspection report on return of the horsebox.
- 24hr roadside recovery.
- Collection/Extension of Rental Period
- The horsebox will be available for collection at 7.30pm the evening before the day of hire or 7am on the day of the hire.
- HET may extend the hire period at the request of the hirer, providing they pay in full for this extension and the vehicle is available.
- Warranties by Hirer – Owner Rights
- The insured vehicle shall be driven by the Hirer or other permitted driver who has complete and signed a Vehicle Rental Agreement immediately prior to any hiring.
- The Hirer agrees to return horsebox to Hodgson Equine Transport in the same condition received.
- The Hirer agrees not to use horsebox for hire, reward or remuneration nor use it in violation of any law, ordinance or regulation, nor remove it (without prior written consent of owner) from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland. The horsebox must not be used for the carriage of goods of an explosive, dangerous or hazardous nature.
- The Hirer must not use the horsebox for use for the carriage of passengers or goods for hire or reward, racing, pacemaking, use on any track, test circuit or off road activity, use in any contest, reliability or speed trial, or use in connection with the Motor Trade.
- The Hirer herby warrants the accuracy of the information provided the HET is 100% true and correct.
- The Hirer agrees not to operate the horsebox or permit the horsebox to be operated in any way that would violate this contract.
- UK, EU, USA, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand license holders only.
- HET will not hire or allow the vehicle to be driven by the following persons;-
– Hirers under 23 or over 75 years of age unless otherwise agreed by the Insurer (please contact HET if this applies to you).
– Hirers aged 23 or over unless a full valid UK/EU driving license has been held for 24 months.
– Persons who have been convicted of an offence in connection with the driving of a motor vehicle or motorcycle and/or have had their driving license endorses,
Suspended or penalty points imposed. Parking and not more than two speeding offences in the past three years may be ignored. “Spent” convictions, covered by
The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 may be disregarded.
– Persons who have had their license revoked by DVLA due to medical grounds or convictions.
– Persons who have had their insurance declined and/or have had renewal refused and/or special insurance terms imposed as a result of claims experience and/or
Have had their insurance or cover cancelled by any Motor Insurer.
– Persons who have been convicted of a drink driving offence.
– Persons engaged wholly or partly in professional entertainment or professional sports person.
– Jockeys and persons connected with racing of any sort.
– Persons who, whilst driving, have been involved in more than one accident during the past 3 years.
– Foreign Service Personnel other than persons born in the United Kingdom.
- The Hirer agrees that he/she is liable to pay the costs of repair to any damage caused by their livestock during the hire period.
- The Hirer agrees that in the event of theft he/she will be liable to pay an excess of a minimum of £500, depending on the age of the hirer. The Hirer will further protect the interests of the Insurer and the HET by ensuring the horsebox is always locked when unattended: and the keys are secure.
- If the Hirer commits any breach of this agreement, HET may treat the agreement as terminated and may seize, without legal process, or notice to Renter, the horsebox at any time and place and Renter waives all claims for damages connected with such a seizure.
- The Hirer authorizes HET to verify through credit agencies, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency or any other sources, personal, driving and credit information provided by Renter and any additional drivers overleaf.
- The Hirer is liable for the loading and weight restriction on the vehicle.
- A minimum deposit of 50% of the total hire price is payable to secure your booking. Subject to your rights to cancel the contract in accordance with these terms, this deposit is non-refundable.
- The balance will be due one week prior.
- The horsebox will not be made available to you until we have received cleared funds on all sums due and payable to us for the hire services.
- The hiring of the horsebox will commence on the date on which you collect the horsebox as agreed.
- We will use all reasonable endeavors to have the horsebox available for collection on the date agreed but we shall not incur any liability whatsoever in the event of any delay arising from matters beyond our reasonable control.
- The horsebox will be provided with a full tank of fuel at the commencement of hire. The horsebox should be returned full of fuel on return. Refueling charges will apply if returned low on fuel.
- Prior to the release of the horsebox, you shall be required to provide us with the following forms of identification in respect of each proposed driver of the horsebox: – each driver’s current driving license (card and check code), 2 x recent utility bills (not more than three months old) containing details of their current residential address.
- Please note that, notwithstanding your payment of all sums owing to us in respect of the proposed hire, the horsebox will not be available to you until we are reasonably satisfied with your forms of identification and the horsebox will not be released until all such documents have been produced in accordance with these terms.
- Please note late fee will be added at the rate of 24 hours days hire.
- You may park your own vehicle, at your own risk, free of charge at our premises for the duration of the hire.
- A charge will be made for delivery and collections Collision Damage Waiver (if any), and miscellaneous charges.
- By signing the agreement, you acknowledge that you will be liable as the Hirer of the horsebox for; Any fixed penalty offence committed with respect to the vehicle for the purpose of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 or the Road Traffic Offenders (NI) Order 1996. Any penalty charge notice issued in respect of the horsebox under the London Local Authorities and Transport for London Act 2003. Any excess charge or penalty charge for parking or for bus lane contraventions which may be incurred in pursuance of an order under sections 45 and 46 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 or under section 66 of the Road Traffic Act 1991 or under section 144 of the Transport Act 2000 or under the Road Traffic (NI) Orders 1981 and 1985, the Road Traffic Regulation (NI) Order 1997or the Traffic Management (NI) Order 2005. Any charges and penalty charges incurred under a road user charging scheme established pursuant to the Transport Act 2000, the Greater London Authority Act 1999 or the Transport (Scotland) Act 2001. Any fixed penalty offence committed and any charges incurred under the Road Traffic (NI) Orders 1981 and 1995 during you hire period.
- Owners costs, including reasonable legal fees where permitted by law, incurred collecting payment due from Renter hereunder;
- Fair market value of repairing damage howsoever caused to the actual horsebox supplied, administrative fees, plus loss of revenue at the daily rate shown overleaf based on Owner’s loss of use of the horsebox, diminishment of value, towing, storage, impound fees, regardless of fault or negligence of the Renter or any other person, and regardless of whether damages are a result of an act of God. Owner shall have the sole right and responsibility to repair the horsebox. Damage should be reported in writing to the office where the vehicle was rented as soon as possible and in any event within 24 hours after the Vehicle was damaged;
- In the event of theft, fair market value of replacing the vehicle, administrative fees, plus loss of revenue at the daily rate shown overleaf based on the Owner’s loss of use of the vehicle.
- If the horsebox is stolen, it should be reported to the Owner immediately and in any event within 24 hours after the horsebox was stolen. It should also be reported to the Police immediately and a crime reference number should also be obtained immediately, regardless if Renter’s own insurance or if Owner’s insurance applies.
- The hirer agrees to allow HET to compute and debit final charges from credit/debit card, if that is the form of payment used by Hirer. If the Hirer breaches this agreement, the Hirer agrees to cease using horsebox and to pay all expenses incurred by Owner in returning horsebox to place of rental.
5. Your right to cancel
- You have the right to cancel the contract at any time up to the end of ten working days prior to commencement of the hire. However, you will NOT be able to cancel the contract once we have begun to perform the hire services with your agreement. If you cancel for whatever reason your deposit or any payment made for the hire booking will not be refundable.
- To exercise your right of cancellation, you must give written notice to us by hand, by post or email, at the following address:-
- You may request the termination of the contract at any time. Your request must be in writing and sent to us at the address shown above and you agree that no refund of any fees for the hire services will be due to you in the event of such a termination.
- Your Obligations to us
You intake to HET as follows:
- You shall not during the hire of this contract, not sell, assign, mortgage, lend, let on hire or otherwise dispose of or part with possession of the horsebox or part thereof nor attempt to purport to do so.
- We must be notified immediately of any change in your address and upon request by us promptly inform us of the whereabouts of the horsebox.
- Use all partitions and such other equipment for the safe transportation of animals and not transport any animals unless they have been properly secured.
- Do not carry more persons or animals than is recommended by the horsebox manufacturers and at all times comply with all load and weight restrictions as may apply from time to time in using the horsebox and not overload the horsebox or permit the horsebox to be overloaded.
- Please note that smoking is strictly prohibited in any part of the horsebox.
- Return of Horsebox
- We require the horsebox to be returned by either 1.00pm or 7.00pm on the day of the hire.
- The horsebox must be thoroughly washed and swept out in the horse and grooms area removing the hay and solids. If the lorry is not returned back clean, thoroughly swept of ALL hay/bedding/feed and washed out including floor/walls/partition there will be an additional £25 cleaning fee due on return.
- If the horsebox is returned up to 1/2 an hour later than the agreed return time for whatever reason then there will be a £25 late fee imposed. If the horsebox is returned over one hour late a full day hire fee will be charged. These terms are strict.
- On termination of the hire however or whenever occasioned or on expiry of the period of hire, you shall no longer be in possession of the horsebox with our consent and shall (unless we otherwise agree) forthwith return the horsebox (including tyres, tools, handbooks and accessories) to us at our premises in good clean order and working condition and at your own expense and risk.
- Unless we otherwise agree in writing, the return of the horsebox shall be made by you returning it at our premises on or prior to the date and time agreed for the expiry of the hire.
- Please ensure that you return the horsebox on time and in accordance with these terms. It is important that the horsebox is returned on time so that is can be prepared in readiness for release to other customers.
- In the event that you do not return the horsebox on time and in accordance with these terms: – a penalty payment of £300 per day or part thereof will immediately become payable to us. You shall fully indemnify us against any other claims, liability, damages, losses, costs and expenses suffered or incurred by or awarded against us and arising from your failure to return the horsebox in accordance with these terms.
- Please note that no refunds or other discounts will be given where the horsebox is returned early and we cannot guarantee that staff will be present earlier than the time agreed.
- Damage Penalties
- There is an automatic £150.00 repair fee chargeable for all minor marks (not showing white in the marks). This will be assessed by Hodgson Equine Transport on return.
- All other damage will be photographed upon return and quoted for. By signing the hire agreement on collection you will agree that you are liable for the repair cost for any damage caused to the hire vehicle during the hire period in accordance with our payment terms.
- Owner’s Insurance
- The Hirer is insured upon and subject to the terms and conditions of the policy of insurance held by the Owner in respect of the horsebox and its use against liabilities to third parties including passengers who are non-fare paying and for whom there are permanently fixed seats. A copy of the policy shall be kept available for inspection by the Renter at the registered office of the Owner specified overleaf.
- In respect of each and every incident resulting in damage to the horsebox interior/exterior the Hirer shall be liable for any damage caused. The Hirer must insure their horse for travel and hold a valid passport at all times while travelling. HET will not accept any liability for injury caused to the animal as a result of damaged caused by the horse to the horsebox.
- You shall remain solely responsible for insuring and keeping insured all personal goods and possessions that do not belong to us or are otherwise provided by us at the commencement of hire including all horses and such other animals that we consent to being carried in a horsebox and the transportation of the same under an appropriate insurance policy with suitable cover and with a reputable insurer. Such insurance should include cover against risk of loss or damage by fire, theft, accident and other risks, including third party risks, as are normally insured against in this respect.
- In no event shall we be responsible to you for any loss or damage to personal goods or possessions, horses and other animals and you hereby agree to indemnify us against any loss, damage or injury to the horsebox (and any of its contents)(except for any caused by our own negligence) in so far as it is not covered by a policy of insurance. Please note that the insurance policy maintained by us in respect of the horsebox is subject to a £500 excess and you hereby authorize us to charge all sums not covered by a policy of insurance to your credit/debit card.
- In case of accident
- The Hirer shall in the event of an incident that results in damage to the horsebox procure that:
- The Hirer of the horsebox completes and delivers to the HET the relevant accident report within 24 hours after the accident;
- No admission of liability is made to any person in relation to such accident;
- Any writ of summons, summons or other document relating to any proceeding arising out of such accident is forthwith delivered to the HET at their registered address.
- All assistance is rendered to the HET and its insurers to the conduct of such proceedings including without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing permitting such proceedings to be brought by the Owner in the name of the Renter and defending any proceedings brought against the Hirer;
- The Hirer shall forthwith upon demand fully and effectually indemnify HET against all losses, liabilities, costs, actions, claims or demands which it may incur or have brought or made against it in relation to the horsebox or its use and which are not recoverable under a policy of insurance whether the same is effected by HET or hirer;
- The names and addresses of all witnesses thereto are collected and given to HET.
- For the purposes of the DATA PROTECTION ACT (S) 1998, HET or any subsidiary of HET may hold and process by computer or otherwise the information given to HET by the Hirer or any Additional Driver to identify other products or services which might be relevant and for statistical analysis.
- Renters Indemnity Provision
Upon demand from HET, The Hirer agrees to defend, indemnify and hold Owner harmless from all losses, liabilities, damages, injuries, claims, demands, costs and expenses incurred by HET in any manner from this rental transaction or from the use or operation of the rental horsebox by any party, including claims of or liabilities to third parties and agrees to present a claim to their insurance carrier for all such expenses. If the Hirer has no insurance to cover such events or losses, the Hirer agrees to pay HET for such losses.
The horsebox shall at all times remain the property of the HET and you shall have no rights to the horsebox other than as renter and you shall not do or permit or cause to be done any matter or thing whereby our rights in respect of the horsebox are or may be prejudicially affected.
Call 07943420663 or email [email protected]
These Terms & Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Disputes arising here shall be exclusively subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd reserves the right to change any of its terms and conditions at any time by posting changes online.
Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd is registered at: Hodgson Equine Transport Ltd, Meribel, Crosby-on-Eden, Carlisle, United Kingdom. CA6 4QN
Company Number: 12404640